Friday, April 13, 2018

A College Sized Faith: Lent

Hi friends, I’m here writing my lent post and I wanted to give you guy more of an understanding on what it is. Lent is apart of the Catholic faith. Lent starts on Ash Wednesday, which is 40 days before Easter and lines up with the Passover Feast of the Jewish Faith. Lent entails giving up meat every Friday and also you have to give up one thing for the entire 40 days, which is not nom, nom.


For last lent season (2017) I decide to give up nerds, which for me was very hard because I love them! Not all people give up something for lent some do something positive for the community like writing letters to the elderly or doing volunteer work. Some Catholic’s decide to give up their one thing for lent but they  they do eat meat on Friday.

It can be hard to do lent practices at college because it’s not like being at a high school in a small town like I was.  Everyone in my town was Catholic and everyone had to do it. At William Woods there are a lot of people that have different faiths than me like my roommate/fellow blogger Megan who is Christian and goes to a Southern Baptist Church when she is at home but eats meat on Fridays. When I eat at the dining hall and I see Megan eating meat it is very hard to not give up and just eat meat.

Now some don’t know why Catholics do this. We give up all these things as an external symbol that shows our understanding of Christ’s suffering on the cross. It prepares our hearts for the Easter season and helps us remember all the things God has done for us.         



~Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! We love reading your comments and seeing what you all think! Please be nice, we will delete any rude/irrelevant/mean comments......So play nice :) If you want to contact us personally you can email us at friendsatthewoods@gmail.com