Sunday, May 6, 2018

My First Year as a CA


Hi Guys! We just ended our second year at William Woods University, which also means I finished up my first year as a Community Advisor in the SAS Complex. I have to say, I’m really happy my second year is over and that I get to continue my journey at William Woods and I have the great opportunity to be the Head CA in SAS Complex in Swearingen.




As for my first year here, I was stressed and relaxed. It is a great job to have on campus, because you are learning different skills that will help you in the workplace. Some of the skills include: Teamwork/Collaboration, Leadership, Global Issues/Cultural Competence, Organization, Problem Solving, Technical Knowledge, and Innovation. Any of these skills listed on a resume, Purple Briefcase, or LinkedIn look good when employers are looking for somebody to hire for their job position.
I lived on the third floor in Allen, which also meant the laundry room was in the basement, all in all laundry day was hard. The good part though was when I worked weekends nobody would be doing laundry at midnight when I would be doing laundry. I had my stressful days when my residents would not listen or when they would be screaming in the hallway. I did have to crash some parties, but I never wrote them up as long as they didn’t argue with me and they left within the 15 minutes I gave them to leave. My residents, they were great! Super kind, they were video gamers which made the floor full of noise while playing the game, but that was still nice. I lived in the spring sports floor, so some nights it was quite because everyone was gone, or they were tired from their day.



I’ve had a roller coaster of a year with being a CA. My eating, sleeping, and my social habits have changed. Not all for the good though. Yet, I would not change it, some days yes, I would love to run away screaming and hide from my responsibilities. Then I start to think, they have someone they can always come to and talk, because we are always there and available to talk. I thank William Woods for giving me this opportunity for this position and that they have allowed me to continue my journey. If you are every thinking of becoming a Community Advisor, I definitely think you should talk to a current CA and get their opinion on it and apply, it can never hurt to go through the interview!
~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! We love reading your comments and seeing what you all think! Please be nice, we will delete any rude/irrelevant/mean comments......So play nice :) If you want to contact us personally you can email us at friendsatthewoods@gmail.com