Saturday, November 5, 2016

Fighting The Flu


Hello Internet World! There are two things that a college kid living in the dorms fear, Finals Week and Flu Season. (Well really I could do an entire post on things that we ‘fear’ but that is for another day.) Unfortunately they seem to hit near the same time too. While I can’t help you avoid Finals Week (I’m sorry I wish I could) I can help you avoid getting the flu. While this is NOT a foolproof method, it may help a bit.


First off I have some tips for you to keep the germs at bay when it comes to your dorm itself


1)     Clorox Wipes - First off you hear that when you move in you should use a whole pack of Clorox wipes to kill everything in there before you move in. however, this should not be the end of your Clorox wipe use. I myself use them once a week. I wipe down doorknobs, light switches, my refrigerator door, the top of my desk….basically anything that is touched every day.

2)     Open the Window – If at all possible I suggest leaving the window open as much as possible. I know not everyone can do this (I myself have allergies so I get it) but the fresh air will help keep the dorm fresh and get all the germs out.

3)     Wash your dishes – this helps keep the germs from accumulating. Wash your dishes within 24 hours of using them if not sooner.

4)     Take out the trash – same concept as washing your dishes just don’t give the germs somewhere to accumulate.

5)     The Bathroom – now if you have community bathroom this will not pertain to you, but if you are lucky, like us, and your dorm is suite style all I am going to say is – CLEAN THE BATHROOM.  You might work out some kind of schedule with your suitemates and roommate, but the bathroom needs to be cleaned on a regular basis.



Next I have some tips for when you are out and about on campus

1)     Use your foot to flush the toilet – now you may be thinking, ‘Lacey why would I do that when I am just going to wash my hands when I finish’ and I’m going to say, ‘who cares! How many other people use their hands when they have been sick to flush the toilet?’ just use you foot, now you have less germs on your hands.

2)     Don’t touch the handrails – I know some people need the handrails to get up the stairs (or if you are like me help from falling UP the stairs) but the less you touch them the better, they are just a breeding ground for all those flu germs.

3)     Have germ-x – have one of those mini attach it to you bag germ-x’s and use it every once in a while.

4)     Use your sleeve or back – when you are going through doors on campus either turn around and push to open the door, or pull up your sleeve so you don’t use your hands.

5)     Wash your hands – when you get back to your dorm for the day wash all those nasty germs off your hands.


Finally if you do get sick by some unfortunate chain of events, here are some things you should already have in your dorm

1)     Emergen-z – find your favorite flavor and stock up

2)     Cold & Flu medicine – whatever it is you are used to having at home – get some you will be thankful when you realize you can’t just walk into the bathroom and find it there

3)     Cold & Flu PM – use this before going to bed to help at night and it will also help you sleep

4)     Sleep – this is your body’s way of fighting infections, germs, and viruses, let it do its thing and Get Some SLEEP. I know, I know, finals are coming, and all your projects are due, but how do you expect to do well when you are sick, and how do you except to get better when you don’t sleep?

5)     Hot Tea – there are so many kinds of tea and different flavors, find something you like and have some tea bags. The hotness will help soothe your throat and it helps you to relax to get that sleep from up there .


I hope these help you keep from getting sick or dealing with it when your do, unfortunately, have the flu.

Did I miss anything that helps you from keeping sick?


Until next time, Love God, Love Each other and Love Disney
                ~Lacey


      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! We love reading your comments and seeing what you all think! Please be nice, we will delete any rude/irrelevant/mean comments......So play nice :) If you want to contact us personally you can email us at friendsatthewoods@gmail.com